Skip to main content

News of the World's inspiration's inspirations

    Recently, I watched the movie News of the World by director Paul Greengrass and starring Tom Hanks. It intrigued me as a story, and I looked into whether it was based on a true story. The film is actually an adaptation of the 2016 novel News of the World by Paulette Jiles. Upon further googling, I found out that the book's characters and events are loosely based on multiple other real people and their stories.

    The first inspiration for it was the book The Captured, about the author, Scott Zesch's ancestor Adolph Korn. Korn was captured by Apaches when he was 10, and was traded to Comanches. He adapted to their lifestyle and trained fighting against US soldiers and settlers. He was forcibly returned to white society but never adapted back to it. 

    Another inspiration to the book was Kiowa Dutch. Jiles recalled how she would search for photographs of Comanche or Kiowa captives. One photo she found was of Kiowa Dutch "a mysterious person who was clearly Caucasian but had been raised Kiowa and had no knowledge of his original name or birthplace of provenance." Both Kiowa Dutch and Adolph Korn obviously influenced the 10-year-old girl, played by Helena Zengel, who Captain Kidd, played by Tom Hanks, escorts.

    Captain Kidd had his own inspirations as well. His is from Jiles' friend's great-great-grandfather vaguely remembered as Aloysius Cornelius Kydd. He used to read newspapers as a public performance in Northern Texas. This clearly translated onto the book with that being the job of Captain Kidd, not even mentioning the name similarity.

    There may be other inspirations, but these are the clearest ones that factored into the characters and the story of the book. It is also worth mentioning that the book and film are still their own entities of entertainment. Their plot is their own and learning about their inspirations will not be the same as actually reading or watching News of the World.

-Coleman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aesop Fables life lessons pt. 2

 Last month I was captivated by Aesop's fables short stories mixed with life lessons. Because of how much I enjoyed the reading I decided to finish the book this month and I wanted to share with you some of the fables that stuck out to me. THE FOX IN THE WELL An unlucky Fox having fallen into a well was able, by dint of great effort, to keep his head barely above water. While he was there struggling, and sticking his claws into the side of the well, a wolf came by and looked in. "What my dear brother," said he, with concerned concern, " can it really be you that I see down there? How cold you must feel! How long have you been in? How did you fall in? I am so pained to see you. Do tell me about it!" " The end of the rope would be of more use to me than all your pity," answered the fox. "Just help me to set my foot once more on solid ground, and you shall have the whole story." saying well is good, but doing well is better -PG. 91  This is one ...

Rereading the Harry Potter series

      I recently saw a blog post about rereading books, and how enjoyable it can be. This idea is one that I share, and I often reread books that I have enjoyed in the past. I decided after reading that blog post that it was about time I read the Harry Potter series again. I have read this series too many times to count, but almost all of them were in a very short span of time, when I was much younger. Did the magical experience still hold up?     It did. I found myself staying up late night after night reading, and instead of playing videogames in my free time, my nose was stuffed deep into the world of Harry Potter. Just ten minutes ago I finished reading the final book in the series, and I felt very accomplished indeed. This is one series that will never get old for me.      One thing that I found interesting as I was reading was comparing and contrasting my experience of the book now vs. then. When I first read Harry Potter, there was a lot ab...

What makes horror so horrifying?

Horror is one of my all time favorite genres to read, write, watch, and talk about. The main question I always find myself asking is what makes horror so scary to people. In my personal experience I have never found horror to scare me, killer in the woods; I wouldn't be in the woods. Supernatural entities; they don't exist. So I  always wondered why people were so afraid of an either easily avoidable situation or an impossible scenario. Then it occurred to me that people's fears lie within the unknown. What we cannot explain nor understand scares us. We fear things like the dark because we cannot see what lies in the shadows. Movies like It, Us, Truth or Dare, Clown, Paranormal Activity, and Before I Wake are all classified as horror movies. I have seen them all and the main thing I think that the writers and directors capitalized on is people's fear of the unknown. Clown is the perfect example of a movie that leaves your skin crawling solely because of the lack of know...